- The first full weekend of 2023, “Avatar: The Way of Water” continued to dominate with approx. $46 million. That means it’s crossed $500 million domestic total. The new movie “M3gan”came in at #2 with a surprising $30 million. Unfortunately, the top 2 movies alone were over 70% of the total weekend box office of $104 million total and only 3 movies made over $5 million this past weekend. In 2020s first weekend the entire top 10 made over $5 each.
- Internationally, “Avatar: The Way of the Water” went over $1.7 BILLION worldwide to become the #7 biggest box office worldwide (mostly due to International sales because domestically it’s #16 on the all time list).
- James Cameron has said that since “Avatar: The Way of Water” has now made over $1.7 billion worldwide he will be making the 4th and 5th movie in the Avatar series. Not sure if he’ll be directing all the movies though.
- Executives at Lionsgate and Disney have both said (separately) that they would like all their employees to return to the office to work on Monday – Thursday. Lionsgate has said that Fridays will still be work from home days and might even be half days with work ending at 1pm.
- It was rumored that NBC/Universal is starting layoffs in certain departments however it’s said that “dozens” of people are getting laid off, NOT “hundreds”.
Little bit of humor:
Although the “Avatar” box office is WAY AHEAD (“Puss In Boots” is only around $200 million worldwide total). These are the current numbers according to reviews.